Best Weight Management Writers
Doctors and health experts advise that it is important to maintain a healthy weight for someone to live a healthy life. If we maintain a healthy weight, we reduce our chances of suffering from diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and several types of cancer.
Once a person reaches the age of 20 years, they should be careful about the amount of weight they put on, their weight and the size of their waist.
If any of the above-mentioned factors is not carefully watched, it can result in the following health conditions and diseases:
- Sleep apnea
- Cardiovascular diseases
Maintaining a healthy weight is crucial. One simple way of doing so is by exercising regularly and watching what one eats. A majority of adults between the age of 18 and 49 years are more likely to gain weight over the years. One of their priorities therefore should be avoiding and stopping weight gain.
Middle aged people are more likely to put on weight. A majority of them develop diabetes, heart disease, gallstones and type 2 diabetes as a result. Women past menopause who put on weight are at an increased risk of developing postmenopausal breast cancer.
At acemywork.com, we have a team of weight management writers ready to assist you with your concerns on weight management. They are qualified and experienced professionals.
Causes of Weight Gain
- Genes – genes play a major role in weight gain. Often, people who have a family history of weight gain put on weight more easily. They tend to gain weight easily compared to other people.
- Diet – when we talk about diet, we talk about the quality and quantity of food in a person’s diet. Diet plays a major role in weight management.
- Sedentary lifestyle – a sedentary lifestyle is one where a person is physically inactive. Regular exercising comes with a number of benefits. It reduces the chances of developing certain types of cancer, heart disease and other chronic diseases.
- Sleep – researchers suggest that there is a connection between the amount of sleep a person gets and their weight gain. People and children who sleep less hours are more likely to put on weight compared to those who sleep for long hours. There are a few explanations for this:
- People who do not get enough sleep are usually too tired to exercise. This means they get to burn very little calories.
- People who sleep for less hours consume more calories than those that sleep for long hours. This is because they are awake for more hours hence have more chances of eating.
- It is a known fact that lack of sleep interferes with the hormones that control a person’s appetite. People who sleep for less hours will tend to be hungrier than those that get enough sleep.
Important Tips to Maintain a Healthy Weight
Once a person attains their healthy weight, it is important to maintain a heathy lifestyle and make lifestyle changes to be able to maintain this weight. One way of doing that is by maintaining a positive attitude. Additionally, a person can follow these guidelines:
- Regular exercises – people who exercise often tend to maintain a healthy weight compared to those who do not. One can start by drafting their exercise goals and commit a certain amount of time to exercising.
- Staying hydrated – it is good to drink water every day. Doctors recommend at least 2 liters of water every day.
- Eating whole foods – one should develop a habit of eating whole and unprocessed foods. Eating foods rich in nutrients and fiber can go a long way in helping a person maintain a healthy weight. Whole foods are foods low in fat and are sources of lean protein.
- Having a healthy breakfast on a daily basis – a good breakfast should be balanced. It should be the heaviest meal of the day. A healthy breakfast can be a source of calories to take you through the day.
- Eating responsibly and mindfully – one should mainly pay attention to their food portions and the quantity of food they consume. When shopping, it is advisable to always check the nutrition facts on the packaging. Additional information to look out for is the serving size also known as the portion size.
If you struggle with portions, you can opt for smaller bowls and plates to help you. Always respect your meal times. When eating, it is good to be focused on the food and to eat slowly.
Your body may give physical cues for you to stop eating before you overfeed. Pay attention to these cues. When at parties, stick to your usual food and portions.
- Getting cookbooks – you should get cookbooks. Cookbooks contain numerous recipes that you could try out to avoid monotony. Cookbooks are an important source of recipes and can be easily found even in public libraries, on the internet and in bookstores.
- Plan meals well in advance – it is important to always plan meals way ahead of time. This gives you enough time to plan and make healthier food choices as opposed to impromptu cooking that is highly influenced by hunger. One can plan for their home cooked meals and also when eating out during special occasions. When going to work or school, it is advisable to pack snacks that are low in calories. Good examples of such snacks are fresh fruits, whole grains and vegetable salads that can keep your hunger under control.
- Reducing the amount of time spent on computers and televisions – reducing screen time helps reduce idle time. Sitting around watching television for long hours reduces the time a person could be active. To replace screen time, one can engage in physical activities that they enjoy during their free time. Any slight movement is important and contributes to the total time spent on exercises.
- Monitoring oneself – it is important to be self-disciplined and be accountable to oneself. One can monitor themselves by weighing themselves on a weekly basis and measuring themselves regularly. If you backslide, do not punish yourself or give up on yourself. Instead, keep a record of the foods you eat and your exercises for a couple of weeks until you are back on track.
- Joining a weight management program – joining a weight management program makes you more disciplined since there are people you are accountable to. Programs usually run for long time and keeps one more engaged and disciplined. This helps them achieve better and long-term success.
- Building a support group – a support group could be a family member or a friend who can listen to you especially when you are frustrated. One way to get them involved is to invite them to your weight management activities and lifestyle. This way you change together.
- Think long term instead of short term – adapting to a healthy diet is usually a short-term solution to weight management. To ensure you maintain the healthy weight once you achieve it you should make the necessary long-term adjustments. For instance, one can look back on some of the habits that led them to gaining excess weight. These habits can include your feeding habits and diet. Thereafter, make the necessary adjustments that will help develop a healthy eating lifestyle. Lifestyle changes are the only way you can maintain a healthy weight.
- Having a positive attitude – it is important to believe in oneself. In good and bad days, during the highs and lows, it is important to always believe in oneself. It is also important to accept that some days will be tougher than others. If you find yourself going to your old habits, do not give up. Instead, pick yourself up and forgive yourself so that you can move on. Every new day presents a new chance to start living a heathy life.
- Making slow but consistent changes and adjustments – plan small adjustments and changes that you can easily include in your normal life. When you feel you have adjusted to this change, plan for the next change. Weight management experts say that the longer a person is able to maintain their new weight, the easier it becomes to maintain it. Remember to take a step at a time.
- Avoid the absolutes – avoid using words like never, must and always rather, be realistic about your goals and with yourself. Once in a while, allow yourself to indulge in what you like.
- Do not stop practicing your healthy eating habits – once you achieve a healthy weight, do not get too comfortable. Instead, come up with new goals to challenge yourself.
- Making an appointment with a registered dietician – for expert nutrition advice and information, you can visit a registered dietician to guide you.
It is important to maintain a healthy weight. Regular exercising and a healthy diet can go a long way. Once a person attains a healthy weight, they should strive to maintain it by sticking to a healthy lifestyle.
Contact our best weight management writers at acemywork.com today!