Week 5 – Discussion 2 ANT101: Introduction to Cultural Anthropology (GSF1946A) ASHFORD UNIVERSITY
You are required to contribute 150 words to this forum by Day 7 (Monday). Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|Week 5 Open Discussion [WLO: 3] [CLO: 1]|
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, review this week’s readings, guidance, and announcements. Reflect on what you found interesting, surprising, or confusing.
This discussion forum is an opportunity for you to explore topics that interest you, share critical insights and questions that you are working with, share your struggles and triumphs, and discuss difficulties that may have arisen this week. Your initial post should describe your experiences in the course this past week, prompting further discussion. Address at least two of the following questions:
- Was there anything that caused you to view the world around you differently or examine a topic from a different perspective?
- What struck you in particular as you explored the course materials this week?
- Do you have questions that your classmates might be able to help you with? (If you have a question for the instructor, be sure to contact your instructor via email).
- In Week 1, you watched two videos, Corporate Anthropology: Michael Henderson at TEDxAuckland (Links to an external site.) and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Danger of a Single Story (Links to an external site.). Thinking back over those videos and what we have talked about in the last five weeks, what have you learned about your own culture? How can anthropology be relevant to your life or to your major?
- Part of having the growth mindset, which we talked about in the Post Your Introduction forum, is to learn from the feedback and critiques you get from your instructor and classmates. Review your feedback on the Week 3 Worksheet and the Week 4 Self-Reflexive Journal. How will you incorporate your instructor’s comments on the Final Research Paper? (If you have a specific question about your feedback, be sure to contact your instructor via email).
You are required to post at least 150 total words in this forum this week. You can post one time or ten times, the only requirements are that you post at least 150 words total and that you engage in conversation related to course content. This Open Discussion forum is a place for you to collaborate and connect with your classmates as well as support one another. Ask questions, answer questions, provide extra resources you found that are interesting, or engage in a debate about something you learned this week.
When responding to your classmates, be sure to elaborate. For example, if you write that you also found a specific topic interesting, explain what about that topic you found interesting and why.
- Are they the same aspects of the topic that your classmate found interesting?
- If you notice a classmate is struggling with something that you can help with, use your responses as a way to support them.
- Helping out your classmates will not only benefit them, but it will also help to solidify your own knowledge.
All of your participation in this forum is due by Day 7 of the week. Students who post early in the week and use this forum to engage their classmates on a regular basis tend to do well and get more out of the course. If you have a question for your instructor, you should contact your instructor through email. Your instructor will monitor this board and may post, but she or he is not expected to answer all questions.