Quality Management in Health Care
Sample Paper Topics/Themes and General Format: The themes and topics listed below are only samples and students are encouraged to identify original topics for their papers. However, such topics should directly relate to the course content/objectives and be pre-approved by the course instructor(s).
- Compare and contrast the quality philosophies espoused by two (or more) leaders in quality management and improvement (e.g. Deming, Donabedian) and describe how their beliefs have and may continue to be applied in health care.
- An overview of the Malcolm Baldridge National Quality Award program, the Six Sigma system or another approach, and how they have impacted institutional health care quality.
- Approaches to data collection and statistical analysis tools in health care quality.
- Health care quality oversight organizations and their impact on health care quality.
- The role of institutional accreditation, credentialing and licensure in health care quality.
- Unique aspects of the health care industry versus other types of businesses and how those differences impact quality management.
- Compare and contrast the special considerations that face quality managers at different levels (e.g., acute care hospitals, nursing homes, home care agencies) of the health care system.
- An overview of state-of-the-art quality management software and other automated tools, and discuss their value to health care organizations
- A major trend in health care (e.g., reductions in 3rd party reimbursement for many procedures) and the impact of such a trend on quality management within health care organizations.
- Systems and strategies used by health care organizations for reducing medical errors and enhancing patient safety.
- Major barrier to successful quality management in health care and how such issues can be overcome.
- Strategies for motivating stakeholders to embrace a culture of quality improvement.