Week 2 – Discussion Forum 1 MGT440: The Dark Side of Leadership (BIG2040A) ASHFORD UNIVERSITY
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|Cultivating Character from Crooked Timber [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3]|
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 3 of your Meeting the Ethical Challenges of Leadership: Casting Light or Shadow course text.
This discussion forum focuses on analyzing Case Study 3.2 (Cultivating Character from Crooked Timber) from your textbook. In at least one paragraph, supported by evidence in your text and from other research, respond to at least three of the five bullet points below.
- Explain if you agree with Brooks that modern Western culture makes the self the center of the universe.
- Explain the value of viewing humans as “crooked timber”. What might be the dangers of this perspective?
- Describe if humility is the foundation for character development. Why or why not?
- Explain which provisions of the Humility Code you agree with and take issue with.
- Do you recall other prominent leaders who struggled to develop their character while wrestling with their weaknesses? How did they cope with their flaws, and what virtues did they develop?
Respond to at least two of your peers’ discussion posts by the end of Day 7 (Monday). Respond substantively to at least two classmates throughout the week, suggesting aspects that they may have overlooked. You are encouraged to post your required replies earlier in the week to promote more meaningful and interactive discourse in this discussion forum. Continue to monitor the discussion forum until 11:59 p.m. on Day 7 and respond robustly to anyone who replies to your initial post.