Parental roles for a healthy lifestyle for children homework help
Children need to be empowered from an early age to be able to make the right decisions regarding healthy eating. Early childhood is the most critical time in children’s lives because it is at this stage that the child’s vital organs like the brain begin to grow.
Children need to be encouraged to become powerful participants in their societies to build healthier and more prosperous futures. Parents and caregivers should guide children on how to develop healthy lifestyle habits which are going to be beneficial to them later in life. Parents should also practice these healthy lifestyle habits together with their children to enhance quick learning.
What is a healthy lifestyle for a child?
A healthy lifestyle includes consuming healthy foods and beverages, engaging in regular exercises and physical activities, and getting enough sleep, which involves consuming healthy foods and beverages. This helps children to: grow well, maintain a healthy weight, and feel good about themselves.
Children should also be introduced to healthy foods and beverages like:
- Protein foods which include seafood, poultry meats, lean meats, eggs, legumes like beans and peas, nuts, seeds, and soybeans.
- Vegetables and fruits, unsalted nuts, unsalted seeds, and whole grains
- Low-fat dairy products, milk, yogurt cheese, fortified dairy products.
The following foods and beverages should be discouraged:
- Refined Grains
- Added sugars
- Saturated fats such as butter, margarine, and lard
- Added salts
Foods and beverages which contain added salts and sugars like pizzas, chips, sodas, and sweetened drinks homework. s, desserts like cakes and cookies. Children should engage in these foods in moderation.
A parental role for a healthy lifestyle for their children
Contact us at acemywork.com if you need help writing parental roles for a healthy lifestyle of their children homework.
How can parents encourage their children to develop a healthy eating lifestyle?
Parents and caregivers play a big role in helping their children to develop healthy eating and drinking habits. Parents should make it fun and a habit to consume foods and drinks that are low in sugar, salt, and saturated fats and are high in fiber because as they consume these foods the children learn to like the foods as well. The following are ways in which parents can help their children to develop an interest in healthy foods:
- Parents should be role models- parents and caregivers affect children’s physical activities. Parents need to set an example by being active and engaging in things like going for a walk, riding a bike, or jogging instead of watching tv, playing video games, or surfing the internet. Children learn by observing, and as they see their parents enjoy physical activities, they grow to like it too. Parents should therefore find activities they can do together with their children to help them become active.
- Using children’s beverage and food choices as teaching moments- parents need to speak up whenever they see their children make wrong choices. They should therefore direct their kids to make the right choices or help them make healthier options by for example telling them to have little of that but not too much. They should also make the kids understand why an overly salty meal or too many sugared snacks are not good for them. They can also praise the children when they pick fruits to make them know that fruits are a good choice for them.
- Talking to the children about being healthy- as parents get more enlightened about staying healthy, they should talk to their children about how certain types of foods, beverages, or physical activities can be of importance to them. For example, when taking a walk with their kids, they should discuss with them how walking may make them feel better and is a fun way to spend time with them.
- Parents should teach themselves to use words like:
– “that’s a great choice”
– “that snack is giving your body what it needs”
– “I like those too much”
When children make the right food choices. When children engage in physical activities, you can use phrases like:
– you are building a strong healthy heart and immune system
-you run so fast, I can’t keep up with t keep up with You run so fast,
-let’s run 20 more minutes to make our hearts and bodies stronger
- Parents should make sure that children get enough sleep- parents should ensure that their children get enough sleep as this helps in improving their emotional, mental and physical health. When children do not get enough sleep, it leads to health issues like obesity.
- Parents should believe in the power to create change in their children’s lives- parents should work together with their children to form healthy habits like moving more and eating healthy which are blocks to better health.
- Parents should help each other in promoting health beyond their families- parents need to share healthy habits. Other parents too may play a role in teaching your child about healthy habits. Family members, friends, babysitters, and caregivers can also help to shape your child’s healthy eating habits and choices. Parents too have a responsibility to ensure that these caregivers are engaging their children in plenty of active playtimes and limiting inactive time like watching tv or playing video games.
- You should also consider influences- parents should consider the fact that some tv, online and other adverts encourage children and even grown-ups to consume junk foods which are high in fats and sugars. They should therefore talk to their children about such pressures and remind them about making healthy food choices.
- Parents can disguise the taste of healthier foods – they can achieve this by adding vegetables to beef stew, adding apple slices to salad, and mashing carrots with mashed potatoes.
- Cooking more meals at home – restaurant foods have more added sugars and salts and also saturated fats which are not good for the children. Cooking at home can provide children with healthier foods that are good for their bodies.
- Involving kids in shopping for cereals helps children to familiarize themselves with them and develop the desire to eat them.
- Providing healthy snacks- parents should keep healthy fruits, vegetables, and beverages on hand can help kids avoid unhealthy foods and drinks like cookies, chips, soda, etc.
Contact us at acemywork.com if you need help writing parental roles for a healthy lifestyle of their children homework
Ways in which parents can help their children eat better
While preparing meals and beverages, parents should use fewer sugars, fat, and salt. The following are some of the ideas to help children follow a healthy eating plan:
- Depending on the age of the child it is good to appropriate portion sizes to avoid oversize portions’
- Using olive oil instead of butter or margarine, baking or roasting foods instead of deep-frying.
- Preparing food with less salt and keeping the salt shaker off the table
- Having cut-up fruits and vegetables and hand-on snacks on the table instead of salty snacks
- Limiting the amount of sugar your child takes by choosing hot or cold cereals with no added salt or sugars
- Serving nutrient-rich foods and beverages that are rich in key nutrients and vitamins like calcium, potassium, vitamin D, iron, and fiber.
- Offering children more fruits for breakfast, adding dark green and orange vegetables to stews and soups.
- Serving more low-fat milk and dairy products.
- Introducing fresh, frozen, or canned seafood like shrimp, salmon, and light tuna.
- Replacing refined grains with whole grains
- Serving more water
- Offering low-fat free milk or whole milk
- Introducing fresh fruits
- Avoiding fruit-flavored drinks
How can parents help their children to be more active?
There are several ways in which parents can help their children to be more active which include:
- Developing a physical activity routine and being a role model for their children.
- Involving family members in activities like playing sports
- Focusing on a fun walk like going to the zoo or animal park
- Involving children in some of the family activities like walking the dog, cleaning the house, or washing the car
- Signing up the children in after-school programs or lessons in an activity or sports they enjoy
- Play sports or dance together with your children
- Encourage your children to be physically active
- Reducing in-active screen time like watching tv, playing video games, surfing the internet
Tips parents can use to reduce children’s screen time
Parents can limit children’s time on digital media outside of homework time by using the following tips:
- Not using screen time as a reward for their children
- By not allowing children not to eat Infront of the screen
- By designating media-free places in the home
- Setting up family game time while turning off all the screens in the house
What is the importance of healthy eating in children?
Eating healthy foods is beneficial to children as it helps to improve their health, growth, and development. Benefits of healthy eating include:
- It helps to provide stable energy for the children which they need during physical activities
- Helps in the development of healthy teeth and bones
- It improves mental health and performance as it enables the mind to think more clearly
- Helps in maintaining a healthy weight
- Helps to reduce future chances of diabetes, heart disease, cancers, and obesity
- Helps children to feel better about themselves
- Helps the children to develop healthier immune systems
- It enables the children to make healthier choices throughout their lives
What are the effects of poor feeding on children?
A healthy diet and good nutrition are very important in the prevention of some illnesses in children. Lack of adequate nutrition can cause growth and development problems in children such as short stature and delayed puberty. The following are the consequences of nutrition in children:
- Impaired growth- all nutrients are important in the growth and development of children. Absorption of nutrients in children is very high, hence poor planning of nutrients in their diets can impair their growth. It is therefore imperative to provide them with the right quantity of the required nutrients to help in the healthy development of teeth and bones.
- Incidences of muscle cramps and dental caries- consuming foods high in added sugars and fats like bakery products, packed juices, aerated drinks, and ready-to-cook foods can lead to poor health. Sugary foods can cause tooth decay and malformed bones e.g., bow legs and knock knees which are a result of consuming foods low in calcium and magnesium.
- Obesity in children- high intake of unhealthy foods especially foods high in sugars and fats can cause obesity which in long term has the potential to cause diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
- Poor memory- childhood is a time of fast brain development when the brain begins to learn and form cognitive skills like memory and attention. This process requires nutrients like zinc, copper, vitamin A, selenium, iron, folic acid, and special fats like gangliosides and sphingolipids. Poor intake of these nutrients, therefore, leads to a deficiency in a child’s brain development process causing poor memory. Parents should also monitor the mental development milestones of their children to assess any deficiencies in the growth of the brain.
- Learning disabilities- a child’s brain develops very fast and is at the same time very sensitive to poor nutrition. Junk foods contain lots of sugars, bad fats, and preservatives that decrease focus and slow down the thinking process, reduce concentration, increase dysgraphia and interfere with visual sensations.
- Nutrition deficiencies- poor nutrition causes deficiencies that can lead to conditions like marasmus and rickets.
- Dehydration- if a child does not get enough fluids, he or she can get dehydrated which can cause other health complications.
- Lack of a well-balanced healthy diet can be the cause of stunted growth in children and also delayed puberty and menstrual irregularities in teenagers.
- Poor nutrition increases the risk of injury in children.
Ways in which parents can help their children deal with their weight
Parents can help their children in managing their weight in the following ways:
- Encouraging the child to be physically active- children need at least an hour of physical activity every day. The activities include playing tag and jumping rope. Parents need to set an example by being active too, making exercise a part of their daily routine. You can also include dancing, biking or taking a family walk, and any other outdoor game together.
- Parents need to emphasize fruits and vegetables- a healthy diet can help to prevent or reverse obesity. Having sodas and chips on special occasions can help reduce the risk of obesity. Instead provide healthy snacks for your children that are low in sugar, salt, and saturated fats, e.g., fruit smoothies, raw veggies, yogurt, peanut butter with celery.
- Observe portion sizes- parents need to ensure that their children’s meal portions are within the appropriate meal sizes for each food type. E.g., a serving of grains is equivalent to one normal slice of bread.
- By not rewarding kids’ good behavior with sweets or stopping bad behavior with a promise of sweets
- Do not encourage a clean plate policy- if kids are satisfied, it is not good to make them continue eating.
- Do not completely ban all favorite snacks or sweets- in such a scenario kids may rebel and sneak in junk snacks on their own. Instead, serve them healthy foods regularly and treat them to their favorite snacks once in a while.
Causes of obesity in children
Several things can cause children to become overweight-:
- Lifestyle and diet- parents are sometimes too busy to prepare their children healthy meals. This forces them to do what is quick and easy. When children eat outside, they are likely to eat large portions than they eat at home which can contribute to obesity.
- Lack of enough exercise and physical activity- most children do not get enough exercise because they spend most of their time before the screen playing video games or watching tv. This causes them to have a sedentary lifestyle which can contribute to being overweight or obese.
- Genetics- genes play a big role in children’s weight. Genes and habits are passed down to the next generation. They also determine how the body stores and burns fat genes also affect eating patterns, levels of physical activities, and also fat storage and distribution.
Consequences of obesity in children
Overweight children are at risk for:
- Shortness of breath which can make it difficult for them to exercise and enjoy physical activities
- problems with bones and joints
- children who are overweight tend to mature earlier as they look taller and more sexually mature than their peers. Overweight girls are at risk of developing problems with menstrual cycles later in life.
- Diseases of gallbladder and liver
Contact acemywork.com if you need help writing parental roles for a healthy lifestyle of their children.
Parents and children’s caregivers have a very important role in shaping their children’s eating habits. They need to create a positive eating environment and be good role models to their children. This helps the children to develop healthy eating habits which helps them to make healthy choices later in life. Healthy eating promotes healthy growth and development. It also helps to prevent the risk of chronic illnesses like diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
Contact us at acemywork.com if you need help writing parental roles for a healthy lifestyle of children’s homework help. We have a team of professionals who are experts in writing parental roles for a healthy lifestyle for children’s homework.